Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cheerio, mate!

As a child, I loved trying on my mother's costume jewelry and slipping on a pair of her Salvatore Ferragamo heels and listen to the click-clacking it made against the front hallway tiles. As I grew older, I hit a tomboy phase. I only wore jeans and often shopped in the boys section. I absolutely abhorred dresses and skirts. I think it had a lot to do with my size -- for the longest time I was a size 16. There just weren't that many options for a girl my size (or I just didn't really bother to look)! Once I hit high school, I found myself embracing fashion the way I did when I was a kid. I took cues from my mom and wore vintage jewelry, wrapped silk scarves on my head, color coordinated my outfits, etc. My classmates took notice, but this time in a good way.

"You wanna work in the fashion industry, don't you?" a girl once asked me. "I can tell by the way you dress."

Over the years, my dreams of having my own t-shirt line have crumbled as I discovered I absolutely suck at graphic design. BUT, my love for all things fashion has grown tenfold. Plus I've gone down to a size 12, discovered that I love wearing dresses and despise pants, and got my BA in Creative Writing at SFSU.

So I thought about keeping a fashion blog to keep track of the outfits I wear (the one pictured above was from Thursday), the things I purchase, people I find fashionably inspiring, and items that I drool over and will probably never own because I am a recent college grad and am unemployed. :(

That's all for now. Hopefully this won't collect a bunch of virtual dust like my geeky pop culture blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment