Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nina Nina Ballerina

Like many other little girls, I wanted to be a ballerina when I grew up. But then I saw some documentary on PBS about ballerinas and they showed a close-up of a dancer taking off her pointe shoes... it was not pretty. Her toes were covered in blood and blisters. That site alone crushed my dream of being a ballerina.

But I still respect and enjoy the art form. And one of my favorite books as a kid was Nina, Nina Ballerina by Jane O'Conner -- I'm a bit biased though since my name is Nina (and so is Natalie Portman's character in Black Swan).

In high school, I loved ballerina-esque fashion. I owned tons of wrap shirts and wore them with pink camisoles, and black ballet flats. I even got a pair of pink Danskin ballet shoes (I use them as house slippers). After watching Black Swan, it definitely made me want to add more pinks and grays into my wardrobe. Currently, it is filled with many purples, greens, and browns.


[photos courtesy of Fox Searchlight]

Fashion Resolution of 2011: THINK PINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment